So, I sent my good friend Chef Scott a couple of cases of Jollof Rice. Scott is a talented young chef, based in sunny Durban, South Africa. He got a few friends round and whipped up and impressive Jollof feast! There were contented tummies and smiles all round. The pictures had all of us at Varo wishing we were there!
Anyway, Scott has kindly sent us his amazing take on a delicious lunch using Varo Jollof Rice - "Jollof Surf 'n Turf" - a main course which combines seafood and red meat. It turns out South Africans are big on MEAT (as big as Nigerians, it seems!). He also introduced a few unique spice options to add to your culinary repertoire.
Varo Jollof Rice – Surf ‘n Turf Recipe
- Varo Jollof Rice with Vegetable (1 pouch 250g)
- 200 gm Beef Fillet
- 150 gm Shrimps
- 1 Star Aniseed
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp crushed Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- Heat up your pan in medium heat. Season your beef fillet with salt & pepper, once pan is hot, reduce temperature & add oil and butter to pan
- Fry your steak on each side for 3 minutes for medium rare. Depending on how thick your steak Is, it might need to cook for slightly longer.
- Once done, set aside beef fillet to rest.
- In the same pan add some butter, saute your onions & garlic, then add Star aniseed, bay leaf, cardamom, cloves, mix all together n then add garam masala, then add shrimps, whilst shrimps are cooking, add ½ cup of water then
- Add Varo Foods Rice. Cover and cook for 2 minutes
- Plate your rice, slice your steak and arrange on rice.
You can also follow Chef Scott for more on Instagram: @chefscott_