Peanut stew, cooked and served with juicy chicken thighs is a high-protein dish that delivers an amazing taste. The richness of the peanut butter complements the chicken and balances the rich spice with mouth-watering flavours.
- 4tbsp oil
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- 200g tomato passata
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ginger chopped
- 10g parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 150g peanut butter
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g peanuts, roasted and chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Blend passata, onions, garlic, ginger and parsley to a smooth paste and set aside.
- In a large pot or saucepan heat oil over medium heat, then add the chicken and brown on both sides about 5-10 minutes. Remove the chicken thighs and set them aside.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Then add the peanut butter, chicken stock, paprika, cayenne pepper and seasoning. Bring to the boil and return the chicken thighs to the pan.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken has cooked through completely. Add water if necessary to adjust the thickness of the sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat the Jollof Rice as directed on the package.
- Serve the stew with rice and sprinkle over the finely sliced spring onions and roasted peanuts. Serves 4