To mark #Veganuary, we thought we'd try something special yet familiar - Vegan Gizdodo! Out went the gizzard and in came the jackfruit. Served with Jollof Rice and dinner was on and popping. Yum, yum!
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1-2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 large plantains diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 300g Jackfruit chunks
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp bouillon powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Blend canned diced tomatoes, 1 red onion, red bell pepper, and scotch bonnet, until smooth.
- To a large frying pan, add 4tbsp vegetable oil and fry the diced plantains until golden brown, then set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Add the remaining red onion and the jackfruit chunks and sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the tomato puree and fry for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add in your blended tomato mixture, bouillon powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, curry powder. Stir together, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the fried plantain and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the Jollof Rice as directed on the package.
- Serve the stew with rice and sprinkle over the finely slice spring onions and roasted peanuts.